Downers Grove traces its name to Pierce Downer who settled the area on 150 acres in 1832. The arrival of the railroad in 1864 brought new opportunities and stimulated growth. The mid-1960s to the mid-1980s saw a boom period in which the population doubled. Abundant trees, parks and greenery earned Downers Grove the nickname, “Village of Trees.” Students attend elementary schools in District 58 or 69, and high school at Downers Grove North and Downers Grove South (District 99). Downers Grove has park sites totaling 500 acres. More than 500 programs are coordinated by the Park District and are devoted to sports, recreation, leisure and learning, including fully-developed programs for people with disabilities. The downtown area has a thriving shopping district, new construction condos, and entertainment venues that include the Tivoli Theater.